Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Ev'ry time we say goodbye

I don't know why I named this entry what I did. But all I know is I'm listening to Ella Fitzgerald sing it and it's getting me pretty emotional. I've probably said this once before, but I hate making big purchases. Whenever you buy something significant, for at least the first month or two, you're always so consumed with keeping it in mint-condition that you don't even get to enjoy it like you should.

I swear if I ever meet a girl named Ilsa, I'll propose to her on the spot. Ilsa's just a beautiful name isn't it? There's no possible way there's a girl on this planet named Ilsa that isn't beautiful. It's just not possible. Whenever a guy names something of his after a girl, it's gotta be special. I'm not really that big on naming things, but if I had to use that name for something, it had better be pretty damn special.

A week ago, my mom woke me up just as I was falling asleep and gave me some horrible news. I still remember it like it was yesterday. Those words will never leave me: "You gotta get a new car". My heart sank immediately.

I've had this car since '04 and it's been the only thing in my life that I've loved for that long. It, or she (might as well start now), still runs like new and has been nothing but faithful to me. We're going on 5 years now. I even pay double for synthetic just to make her happy. I love this girl.

I guess for the past week or so I've been reminiscing and cherishing the memories we've had together. Four girlfriends, college, endless snowboarding and beach trips come to mind. But mostly, I'll remember never having trouble that wasn't expected. Ilsa was always faithful. And just like Ingrid Bergman (wow, is that really two straight Casablanca references?), I guess I'm reluctantly parting with her for the best.

Here's looking at you, kid.

5 comments:

Tomato & Carrot said...

Hi Sam!

Nice post. I'm glad your car has always been dedicated to you. She should, you feed her well.

-Jeffrey

annie c. said...

:( your car was loved! lol remember the awana days when people always had to trunk it? hahaha good times

Hayeon said...

i know this is supposed to be a sentimental piece..but not gonn lie, i chuckled a little :) bahaa

Chan said...

Dude ilsa is one syllable away from sulsa

jongmini said...

dang. i've known her for such a short time and even tho when i met her she had her share of miles in her, she was still beautiful. rip.