Monday, December 6, 2010

Catch Me If You Can

Am I the only one that's synonymously associated Christmas music with depression? Please comment if there's anyone else out there.

I've always felt that Catch Me If You Can was a really underrated movie. It was what a lot of critics call a "nice" movie that's worth the ticket price, but would never shake that reputation (I mean, how could you right? It's Tom Hanks) and that may be true, but in my book, there haven't been very many entertaining movies that have done the whole coming of age story with a human condition plot as well as Catch Me If You Can. I thought Leo was perfectly cast.

Where am I going with this? I'm going to embed this clip with the disclaimer that you really can't understand how incredibly sad this scene is without having watched the entire movie leading up to this.


I think my Christmas music association has something to do with my having watched The Godfather at a very early age and never forgetting the image of Luca Brasi putting on his bulletproof vest and load his gun to 'White Christmas'. I know. Parents pay attention to movie ratings. Rated R means Rated R.

Maybe I have mommy/daddy issues, but this scene always cuts to the core of me (Ron Burgundy reference--yes I still have a little college in me). How sad is it that young Frank's literally begging Carl to get him in the car?

Merry Christmas to you too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

still one of leo's best