Friday, February 29, 2008

Laughing Just One More Time

I've always been one to laugh at things a little longer than anyone else. Actually, maybe not a little. A lot longer than anyone else. There's just something about good jokes or puns that make my day. If you've been around me long enough, you've probably, at one time or another, asked me why I was laughing. Sometimes I have to catch myself from laughing out loud during class or even church service. I like to laugh, what can I say.

So many times when I was little and my mom would be scolding me I'd have to hold in my laughter at something that happened a week before. Sometimes I'd just laugh at the variety of emotions her face would display as she was screaming at me. Eyes get wider, mouth opens wider, eyes shut, teeth clench, suppress laughter.

Recently people have been giving me crap about killing jokes. And I mean that in the uncultivated asian way. You know: "DUUUUDEE!!! You killed it man!!!!". This is usually followed by an equally idiotic sounding "It's over" or "Don't drag it on". We're not talking about a lynching here people. It's a joke. If you don't find it funny, don't laugh. Maybe you should think about what you sound like when you're saying these things. I like to bunch "You killed it" in the same family as "Fosho dawg" and "Jiyeah!!!". Say those things aloud and ask someone whether or not you sound like a moron. Chances are, they'll say you do.

So before you tell someone they "killed it" (quotations for emphasis), remember that jokes are meant to make people laugh and if one person laughs, then that's good enough. This includes the person telling the joke. Don't flatter yourself in thinking you're special. Chances are, that joke wasn't JUST for you. As far as I'm concerned, anyone else that laughs is just an added bonus. It's altruistic of me really.

I'm with Andy Kaufman on this one. I trusted you.

1 comment:

anninoe said...

i like this entry. :)